For over fourteen generations the Fowler family has been producing predominantly traditional Derby cheeses.
Traced back to 1670 read how we have evolved from Derbyshire to Warwickshire.
The History of our Cheese
Traced Back To
Richard (Ric) Foule
The Fowlers of Alstonfield, Ilam, Hanbury and Earlswood
Researches into ‘our’ branch of the FOWLER family have, so far, established its history to dates back in the 1670’s. They were farmers of substantial repute and, until about 1875 were based on a number of farms in a group of Parishes on the high ground in Staffordshire near to the Derbyshire boarder just to the west of Dovedale and the north of the Ashbourne/Leek road. The parishes include Alstonefield, Ilam, Waterfall, Grindon, Wetton, Calton and Butterton. The main Fowler farms were Throwley Moor (Ilam), Hardingsbooth (Alstonfield), Farwall (Calton in Blore) and Slade House (Ilam). Other farms were Stoney Lowe (Waterfall), Green House (Croxden) and Cauldon Church Farm (Stanshope) is still farmed by Douglas Fowler, almost certainly descended from the same family.